Friday, February 19, 2010

Lord, if this is how You treat Your friends....

"Lord, if this is how You treat Your friends, I'm glad I'm not Your enemy." ~St. Theresa of Avila

St. Theresa and I were of a similar mind this morning. My Lenten exercise this year is the ancient tradition of Station Churches. Since the Middle Ages, pilgrims have been attending Mass and venerating the relics of Roman martyrs at a different church in Rome each day during Lent. The Pontifical North American College (AKA the NAC) takes the responsibility of organizing the Masses each day; this tradition would not continue without them. The churches used to be listed with the Propers for Lent in the Roman Missal. It is a beautiful way to view Catholicism in Rome especially since some of the churches are only open on their assigned one day.

To add to the penitiental feeling, our 50 minute walk to the particular churches on Thursday and Friday were blessed with a cleasing rain. By the time we arrive at the church, my pants, shoes, and coat feel like I just took a swim in the Tiber. Today was particularly bad because my group got lost. In hunting for the church, I began to reflect on the gypsy travellers who can be seen begging all around Rome and how they are open to these elements all the time. I would be returning to warm clothes and breakfast. A fitting reflection, I thought, as we are beginning our Apostolic Outreach today, one of these options being the Missionaries of Charity.

The delay in attending Mass also increased my desire for receiving Jesus, reminding me of the beautiful Gift of Himself. I come to find St. Catherine of Siena and I were of one mind: "Father, I am hungry; for the love of God give this soul her food, her Lord in the Eucharist." "O unfathomable depth! O Deity eternal! O deep ocean! What more could You give me than to give me Yourself?"
Santa Sabina, Ash Wednesday
Santo Giorgio, Thursday after Ash Wednesday

Your random moment for the day: Look through the hole in this door. Stand in Italy, look into Malta, and see Vatican City (St. Peter's Basilica Dome) on the other side. 3 countries!

No comments:

Post a Comment