Sunday, February 14, 2010

All Roads Lead to Rome

I have a particular devotion to Blessed Teresa of Calcutta. This is no suprise to anyone who knows me. She has been a guiding force in my life for many years now and I am ever grateful for her intercession. She has this incredible knack of turning up at the oddest times or in places where I suddenly realize I know I am where I am supposed to be.

On our first day of class at the Angelicum, I walked into the courtyard and within 30 seconds saw a familiar face I hadn't seen in two and a half years. Brother Juan Pablo, a seminarian I knew from a "come-and-see" experience with the Missionaries of Charity Fathers in Tijuana, is doing his four years of theological studies at the Angelicum. I come to find out later, Mother Teresa selected the school for her seminarians and all attend fours years here! There are more MCs around the Angelicum whom I hope to meet (or see again?) in the coming weeks.
I also learned Venerable Pope John Paul II attended the Angelicum but never graduated because he could not afford to publish his discertation. The school quickly fixed that once he became Pontiff. His grades were not stellar which provides much consolation to us students!

I randomly ran across the convent for the Missionaries of Charity sisters in Rome. Enough said.

On Saturday 13 February 2010, the seminarians in our group had the opportunity to serve for the anticipatory Mass at Saint John Lateran, the cathedral-church for the Holy Father. Father Corola, our chaplain, asked me to organize music for the Mass. A group of us gathered together in a scola singing the Missa de Angelis and some Latin hymns. It was a beautiful chance to praise God through music and what an opportunity to hear our voices ring out in the Lateran Basilica! I even had a chance to play a "mini-organ" for the processional and recessional hymns. (I ran into Brother Juan Pablo in the Basilica about an hour before Mass. Another sign from Mother?!?)
One final note of news: Rome had snow on Friday for the first time in about 25 years. This led to impromptu snowangels and a snowball fight in the Angelicum courtyard.


1 comment:

  1. Blessings to you, Kellen, so glad you feel so grounded there! Dr. S

    ReplyDelete