Thursday, June 11, 2009

Lessons of Solitude and Silence

Summer has arrived in the minds of most people if not astrologically. This constitutes my first summer not being entirely at home. Along with continuing to move into the world, there are many changed going on around me.

My mind is a blur...my brother graduated high school...I have made two trips home in the past month and will possibly make another in the next few weeks...my whole life pattern has flipped for the summer from class, homework, and more homework to work and research...the landscape of my campus is changing with the demolition of two buildings and construction of new athletic and student centres...

I have been on my own more than usual. I have no roommate right now and I am slowly adjusting and learning to enjoy the solitude and silence. In fact, it seems exactly what I need. I get back to my dorm room...I don't have a TV...I don't have a radio or CD player that works...my laptop was sent in to get its harddrive replaced...what am I supposed to do with all this silence?

Pray. Contemplate. Be in God's Presence. Read a book. Go for a walk. Liesure. This is exactly what I have been dreaming about in class during the semester. It is finally here and I don't know what to do with myself. Society is too fast-paced; it's too filled with constant distraction.

SILENCE and SOLITUDE

And so I am learning to just sit and be. I'm learning to waste time with others. I'm learning to take advantage of the moment and live in it. I am learning to constantly put my heart in the Presence of the Sacred Heart. These summer lessons are the most important and best ones I will ever learn.

3 comments:

  1. "Prayer is 'wasting' time with God."--VISION magazine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of my best prayer time has been just sitting and being with God. Kellen, I didn't know you were still writing in your blog. I am so sorry I lost touch. Wow, you are in your junior year. Email me sometime and let me know what is up! Love, Val xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kellen,

    Found you! Ahhh, solitude, quiet, meditation, contemplation, relaxation, recreation. All wonderful things. Esp contemplation / prayer before the Blessed Sacrament. how wonderful! but I bet you have already started up school again, right? And you are busy, busy busy...

    Kellen, so we don't lose you again, can you add your blog to the directory of blogs I am creating? It's called From Jland To Blogger. You will find the URL below.

    God bless you,

    krissy knox :)
    check out my twitter:
    http://twitter.com/iamkrissy
    my main blog:
    Sometimes I Think
    Hey, former AOL bloggers, please list your blog in our directory of blogs:
    From Jland To Blogger

    ReplyDelete